From the Masdar Times, a renewable energy and sustainability newsletter from the Masdar Initiative team creating a zero emission city in the United Arab Emirates desert, come this week’s facts.
- 80% of the world’s fish production is used for human consumption.
- One of every two fish spawned comes from aquaculture.
- The food industry currently account for around 30% of the world’s total energy consumption.
- South Asia currently uses 94% of its potentially arable land. Sub-Saharan Africa uses only 22%.
- 32% of livestock breeds are under threat of extinction within the next 20 years.