As a former teacher and current doctoral student in education, I firmly believe in the power of education to change the world. That is not to say that I think the current system is working. Fortunately, there are a number of organizations doing phenomenal work to change the system. The Project Earth Network is “a global environmental education network designed to connect schools, students and teachers around the world to help solve environmental problems.” With more than 1800 member schools, 1500 projects, and 100 countries, the organization serves as a social media site for the environment.
Ecology and Environment, Inc., a global environmental consulting company with offices on five continents, founded Project Earth as part of their social corporate responsibility. The project’s mission “is to generate ongoing conversation and collaboration across national boundaries that will collectively lead to positive environmental change.” Project Earth provides tools for schools to:
- Showcase innovative environmental projects.
- Connect and interact with ecologically-minded people around the world.
- Share ideas, resources, and solutions to environmental problems.
- Participate in environmental contests and earn recognition for efforts.
- Help educate and raise awareness of environmental issues facing the planet.
For those interested in joining, Project Earth is a free service. Click here to register. Watch the following video for more on Project Earth Network.