The following facts deal with the oil and gas exploration and drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. The information comes via The New York Times.
- 1.7 – The number of barrels of oil, in millions produced each day.
- 30 – The approximate percentage of total domestic oil production coming from the gulf.
- 90 – The approximate number of drilling rigs there.
- 3,500 – The approximate number of production platforms, which pump the oil and gas, and export it, by pipeline, to the shore. Nearly 1,000 are manned.
- 35,000 – Workers engaged in the gulf’s offshore oil and gas exploration and production.
[Image source: Metropolitan Museum of Art]